My first 10 mile run...

So yesterday I ran my first 10 mile run. I started out with just the idea of completing an hour worth of running. While I was running, I started thinking of how far in could run in one stent. I know that I have to start pushing myself if i want to be able to complete my first half marathon in a good time. I also know that I need to be able to run the 10 miles regularly to condition my body and mind. My goal is to complete the 13.1 mile distance in 2:30:00. I feel that this is a time that I can meet if I work hard. I also know that I will have to work hard and press myself. To meet that time I need to get to a pace of around 9min30sec per mile.

When I was roughly half through my initial 60 minute run, I decided that I would try and go 10 miles. I was thinking about how to make myself go the distance even if I got a little tired. I decided that I needed to not do laps around the ISU campus or my neighborhood, I needed to go strait away from my apartment so that no matter what, I had to go the distance to get home.

That idea worked well! I know that if I had just been doing laps around my neighborhood I would sort likely have stopped before I got to 10 miles. But because I chose a course that I had no choice, I was forced to go the 10 mile distance.

I was shocked when I was done! I felt great!! I think that if I had more time, I could have continued on and made it the whole 13.1 mile distance. My time yesterday for 10.1 miles was 1:54:00 roughly. That time also included a five minute warm up walk.

My ending goal will be to run 5 miles, take a 1 minute walk break, run 5 miles, take a 1.5 min walk break, and then power through to the end.

My training has somewhat been based on a 10K distance up until this point, but now I am going to ramp up my training. I am going to start on a 13.1 mile training plan. Ai want to be able to successfully run the 13.1 mile distance without any problem so that I can continue right on into a 26.2 mile training plan. My ending goal, roughly October, is to be able to run a marathon. I am hoping that before Halloween I will be able to successfully be complete a marathon and be able to go to Halloween parties dressed as a runner with my marathon medal as bling!

The half marathon that I will be running is the Indy Mini Marathon. It is the largest half marathon in the nation. My family is planning on being there to watch me take off and then cross the finish line! I cannot wait to party with them after the race and celebrate my accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment