Lemon Pepper Brussel Sprouts



I don't know about anyone else, but I love trying new foods.  I think it is exciting to get to cook something new, and then there is the overwhelming feeling you get when you take the first bite.  Whether the decision is to keep the recipe or toss the dish, it is always fun.

I decided that I wanted to try brussel sprouts.  My great grandmother loved them, and my parents always hated having to cook them for her.  Since I share a birthday with my great grandma, maybe I also share some similar tastes in food.  So I recently set out to try brussel sprouts.

I got some sprouts.  Fresh not frozen.  I don't have a problem with frozen, but I think that they probably taste better fresh.  I read on Pinterest how other pinners had cooked their brussel sprouts.  I cut off the ends and then cut them in half.

I placed halved pieces into a pan with some olive oil.  I moved them around until they were completely coated in olive oil, and then I sprinkled on some Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning, salt, lemon juice, and about a pinch of minced garlic.  I brought the pan up to a medium heat and sautéed the brussel sprouts until they were golden brown around the edges and had begun to soften up in the middle.

I then transfered the contents of the pan into a small glass baking dish.  I sliced a lemon and put the slices on top of the brussel sprouts, placed a lid on the baking dish, and placed it into a 350 degree oven for roughly 35 minutes.  I don't know the time exactly, but I just cooked them until they were nice and soft, easily cut up with a fork.

I had some chicken breast, and mashed cauliflower to accompany my brussel sprout experiment.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were good.  The lemon juice gave them a tartness, along with the garlic, and the flavor of the brussel sprouts themselves combined to a great side dish.

I won't say that they are my new favorite vegetable, but I will definitely continue buying and eating brussel sprouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment